|| HOME ||  ABOUT ME ||  PUPPY ||  HOUSE ||  LIVEJOURNAL ||  WRITING ||  CRAFTS ||  BOOKS ||  COOKING || 
 || SAILING ||  LINKS ||  CARD GALLERY ||  COMICS/ART (HA!) ||  PHOTO GALLERY ||  BELLY DANCING ||  MINIONS || 


PATTERNS & INSTRUCTIONS || CRAFT GALLERY || PET CRAFTS
TETRIS AFGHAN
The Tetris afghan was a Ravelympics project in 2008, which was supposed to be a major stash-busting project. But part of me just couldn't deal with the not-quite-rightness of the colors I had, and though that if I was going to put that much effort into a project, I wanted it to be right.
First I had to make a pattern. I started with a screen shot of a game I found on the internet, then modified it a little (okay, I screwed up and had to 'fix' it). The one thing I implore people to do when they make a Tetris afghan is to make sure there are no complete rows! Remember, in the game, once a row is full all the way across it disappears. It would not show up in a game screen.
First I thought I would try to do continuous crochet, twisting the yarn at the joins and keeping several (way too many!) strands active. This turned out to be mind-bogglingly difficult, though it is possible. Mostly I was annoyed with how much work it was to keep the strands from getting tangled, not to mention the difficulty of trying to put it up for the evening.
So then I started thinking I was going to make it out of squares - but not granny squares (too open and holey for me - I hate it when your toes poke through! This was before I found 'solid' granny squares, which I am using in Tetris Afghan 2.0). Regular squares that would then be stitched together. The problem wasn't so much the squares (though the single-strand double crochet I started off with is a bit wimpy) as it was my inability to come up with a way to stitch them together that I like. Plan scrapped.
To be honest I don't remember what I tried here, some weird varient of squares and continous stitching. Note I'm still using the 'scrap' yarn, with the very game-inappropriate colors. I think it's about this time, when I scrap this try, that I realize I have put so much time and effort into this project already that I might as well make it right. I went out and bough Red Heart (I know, I know, but it's an afghan and I'm not going to bankrupt myself making it out of awesome yarn - I'm neither a yarn snob, nor a purist) neons and got serious. Of course, by this time it was several days into the Olympics and me finishing on time was starting to look iffy. But I forged on.
The final method and the final yarn, at the beginning. Basically I started with one square, then when I added the next I caught the existing square along the edge. And so on, building it up bit by bit.
I couldn't wait until I was done to start with the outlining, which really brought it together (I think)!

TA-DA!

Complaints, comments, and broken link reports can be sent HERE.