|| HOME ||
ABOUT ME ||
|| SAILING || LINKS || CARD GALLERY || COMICS/ART (HA!) || PHOTO GALLERY || BELLY DANCING || MINIONS ||
The magnet part of this project is an idea I got from the craftgrrl community on LJ, from a person who went on to become a good friend. The packaging/case was something I made up myself. Overall, I love the way the project turned out, and you could apply both the magnet and the case idea to other themes - these just happen to be Harry Potter themed (at the time of this writing, Lego Harry Potter is a week from release - there is not enough *squeeeee* in the world to express my excitment).
So, first step in making the magnets is to print off your words of choice onto a piece of plain paper, making them the right height to fit on your size of rolled magnet (you can use sheets of magnet, but I find those are too thin and they really don't work as well).
Slap a layer of packing tape over the words (if they are longer than the tape is wide, you'll have to cut the out first and run the tape lengthwise over the word, but if they're short enough you can tape over the whole column at once).
Then cut out the individual words, but leave them larger than the magnet - you'll trim them after you adhere them to the magnet, for a smooth, clean edge.
Stick them to the magnets, then flip them over and trim the excess with an x-acto knife.
Now the magnets are done, time for the case! Grab an empty CD case and pop out the inside bit that holds the CD. You're left with a case with an unfortunate hole along the edge. I cut a piece of foamcore the same size as the edge (the bit on the left) and covered it with a piece of cardstock that complimented the cover. Print off a back and front cover for the CD, fill the remaining inside compartment with a layer of batting (I use polyester quilt batting, because it's what I have, but you can also use a layer of fleece, or cotton batting - anything with enough give and springiness to hold the magnets in place!) and pop your magnets inside, and you're good to go!
(yes, I'm aware there's a typo on the back - I fixed that, but didn't take new pictures!)